Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Final Day of No Shopping January: An Outfit with Old Louboutin Boots


I am really happy this month is almost over.  Not because I desperately want to shop tomorrow, but I don't want to have to walk away if I did happen to see something that would be a great addition to my wardrobe.

I have learned a lot from my no-shopping adventure.

First of all, I don't actually like color as much as I thought I did.  My eyes love color on a shelf, or in a painting on the wall, but when I have to wear it I very often opt for something more subdued.  And I am itching to change the purple shirt below into one with classic blue and white stripes for instance.  I think it will have to be worn under jumpers in future.

For evening I do love a pop of very saturated color, and I have noticed I mostly want to wear red, burgundy or pink.

I love tartan and would wear it every day if I lived in Siberia.  It doesn't look right for the summer, but I happily wear it all winter long.

However, should I ever go near green, yellow, orange or purple again, please shout at me.



COS jodhpur style trouser (similar HERE)
Hermès belt (HERE)
Proenza Schouler bag (HERE)
J.Crew double breasted blazer (similar HERE and HERE)
Isabel Marant Étoile shirt (HERE)
Christian Louboutin boots (very old but similar HERE and HERE)


My go-to outfit when I am in a hurry or when I am traveling is always the same:  jeans, boots or sneakers, a white shirt or a grey jumper, and a blazer.  I have a lot of short bouclé Chanel-style jackets, but I haven't worn those at all lately.  More traditional men's style blazers cover the butt and look tidier somehow.  My shorter jackets will still be cool with long skirts and T-shirts though when it gets a tiny bit warmer (Hong Kong is in the midst of proper winter now).

I am not crazy about skinny jeans anymore.  I prefer a slim straight leg, but actually don't have any of those.  This will be on my radar as I freely walk into shops in February.  And no more holes in my jeans ever.  I am too old for them and I am not even sad about that.

Bag wise I wish I could always afford Chanel - there are no bags that make me happier, although I also love every Proenza Schouler bag I have.  They are really easy and practical to use, lightweight, not crazy expensive (relatively) and look great too.

I have barely worn any costume jewelry this month (except for a Chanel cuff), yet I always want to buy it everywhere I go.  This is crazy behavior!!!  I need to stop that.  I have, however, loved wearing my Monica Vinader initials necklace in particular (HERE), it's great quality silver with gold plating, in other words fine jewelry for costume jewelry prices.

For shoes I need to concentrate on basics, and fewer gimmicks.  For years I have been thinking I should buy a very simple pair of Gianvito Rossi pumps in plain black calf (HERE) but instead some bright pink and yellow shoes with diamanté will catch my eye.  The black shoes would make me feel happy every single wear.  Not so much the diamanté.

Another thing I have learned is that your hair, skin and teeth are more important than your clothes really.  Having spent a fair amount of time properly analyzing how I looked in every outfit, it was often the bags under my eyes I noticed more than anything.  It's the first time in my life I am sort of realizing that.  I often look horrid in the harsh London winter light, almost as if my skin has gone transparent.  So one thing I am going to look for is a good full coverage foundation and some beautiful grown up classic sunglasses (I am thinking the Céline Baby Audrey - HERE). 

I have always loved all kinds of fashion so much (although maybe more in principle than in my every day jeans-and-blazer life) that I mistakenly believed your outfit is the first thing people see.  It is not... unless it's neon orange.  It really is your face and hair, so if you care to look attractive (maybe you don't and if that is the case I would say good for you) then your money is probably better spent on skincare or treatments and hairstyling then anything else.  

By no means do I think everyone has to be beautiful - not at all, actually, I think a kind smile on any face is more beautiful than a bad attitude on a supermodel. But having smooth tidy hair and even skin does make a big difference in how people perceive you. Again, you may not care and if so good for you!  I wish I was more like that but I am not.

That awesome Gucci bag (HERE) will unfortunately not make my dark circles disappear.

So tomorrow I will be doing an amateur review of some very fancy creams and serums I have been using lately... and hint hint, as a result I am thinking some fillers and Botox are needed next.

Have a great Tuesday,

xx Dianne

PS. I am going strong on the 5:2 diet - not a significant result on the scale (2 kg) but my clothes fit much better.




No comments:

Post a Comment