Sunday, January 7, 2018

No Shopping Challenge January 2018 - Outfit 10 Valentino Rockstuds Three Ways




I have been wondering about Rockstuds - are they classics nowadays?  Or are they simply flashy symbols of the out-of-touch one percent?

If you have been following American politics you may have seen an offensive Instagram post by the Scottish wife of the US Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin.  Louise Linton showed off her Rockstuds and subsequently got into an Instagram fight with a normal non-rich American mom by mocking her regular small life (read more HERE).

Comedian John Oliver's (from HBO's Last Week Tonight) reaction to Louise's vulgar rudeness was priceless but it's kind of ruined Rockstuds for me...  because in response to Linton calling the woman "adorably out of touch", Oliver said this:


It's a little ironic that Linton, a woman who actually tagged her photo hashtag-Valentino-Rockstud-heels is calling someone else out of touch, because Rockstud heels, really Louise?  What is this? Valentino's Fall 2010 ready-to-wear show?  Is there some asymmetrical pastel organza you'd like to pair them with?  Maybe something floaty with a scalloped hem? Or is it seven years ago only from the ankle down?





John Oliver is brilliant, and I cannot see a pair of Rockstuds now without thinking of his hilarious takedown.  That said, Rockstuds are still so beautiful to me... they make everything else you wear look beautiful too.  I can't imagine ever not loving the look of Rockstuds.  I do think they have become a classic just like a Chanel bag.  The toe and heel shape of these shoes is so traditional, and not tied to any trends, that the shoe will never truly look 2010.

To me they are best with day clothes. Just regular casual clothes and a cool bag.  For these outfits I have used a Proenza Schouler PS1 bag (similar HERE) which could also be considered passé because of its fringes and because it even pre-dates the Rockstud, but I don't mind that. 

The jeans are high waisted from Point Sur, bought from J.Crew.  I have looked for a website but can't find it.  In any event these are super lovely jeans and if you find them anywhere don't hesitate to try them.




The red cashmere jumper is from Uniqlo, the navy is from J.Crew, and the pink is from Zara.  I love both Uniqlo and J.Crew's cashmere but the pink Zara jumper is not very nice - the side seams are quite visible and crooked, and it's a bit transparent.  I got it a few seasons ago, and although I have in the past bought nice cashmere from Zara, I would tread carefully since it's not exactly inexpensive either.

I clearly over-invested in these shoes... but only the navy pair were full price. By 2014 Rockstud mania had died down enough that they regularly appeared in sales.  This also reminds me of my fashion motto - there is no such thing as investing in fashion, unless you never wear anything and leave them sitting in the box.

Shoes and bags will go out of fashion, and you won't be able to sell them at a profit unless you buy only the most classic Chanel or Hermès. So if you do "invest", wear them all the time until they fall apart - that means you will have at least invested in a fun life.

xx Dianne




No comments:

Post a Comment