Saturday, January 20, 2018

Regrets, I've Had A Few (especially that Miu Miu Black and Cream Madras bag)


No-shopping January is almost ending!  Ten more days only!!!  Can you feel the forced excitement in my three exclamation marks?  Ten days...

Have you ever noticed that the minute you decide to go on a diet, all you can think of is chocolate and pizza?

Well that's what happens with the shopping diet too.

Shopping my closet unfortunately reminds me constantly of things I did not buy over the years.  I will pick out a skirt and jumper, only to think how those grey snakeskin Céline sandals would have been the perfect accessory for this outfit.

I didn't buy the sandals at the time (in 2014 at Saks Fifth Avenue in Beverly Hills) because they were extremely expensive, so I got a slightly less expensive Givenchy version later.  Price-per-wear on the Célines would have been better, of course, because I truly loved those.


This is Valentino bag would not have been a rational purchase.  But I still love how it looks, I imagine it with every outfit.  And as all over grey and navy outfits are my favorite thing, this bag would have been the perfect special accessory.  But I didn't do it because I was thinking too sensibly.


The Céline sandals I described above.  These are nothing less than perfect.


This jumper is Michael Kors, from the late nineties.  It was a million-ply cashmere and cropped, and I held it several times in Bergdorf Goodman, knowing I could never afford it.  So I'd instead go to the Gap or Zara (the first one in New York, across from Bloomingdale's)  and would end up buying 5 not so perfect things.  I could have afforded the real thing had I only not wasted money on junky bits here and there.


These Chloé slippers are a recent regret.  They would have been so great with summer shirtdresses.  I think of these all the time.


But my biggest regret is a Miu Miu bag.  My friend Melbourne Fashion Girl sent me this picture years ago of a pink version of the bag.  

The one I loved had a cream body and a black flap, and it had been in my online basket for weeks, when suddenly it went on sale for HKD 6,000.  I got super excited and went on the school run - came back and it was gone.

For the past three years or so I do regular searches on Ebay and Vestiaire but the cream/black color combo has never come up yet.

The size is perfect, about 10 inches across.  The top handle is big enough to hang it in the crook of your elbow, but there is also a long strap.  The hardware is perfect too. 

Big slumping shoulder sigh..  That bag was exactly me, and my style, it was fashionexpat in a handbag.

Ten more days, dear readers, and you can bet your bottom dollar that I am going shopping.

xxxxx Lots of love,
Dianne





No comments:

Post a Comment