Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Is Versace Having A Revival? And Is Full Glam Makeup Back?


Versace has a huge, fairly new store on Queen's Road Central across from the Landmark.  I often just walk past without looking, but the other day I noticed the windows looked exactly like it was Fall 1992.

First I thought it was rather lazy for Donatella to just redo a whole collection, but then I checked myself and thought of Chanel bags, shoes and jackets.

In the next moment I saw boots full of bondage straps and gold medallions that I suddenly desperately wanted.

Versace's Fall 1992 collection had the most beautiful ad campaign.  I tore all the pictures of Christy Turlington out of my magazines and decorated my first apartment's walls with them.  Watch this video to get a sense of the collection HERE or see the full show HERE, HERE and HERE...  On a side note, check out the low heeled booties in the show and you will realize where the Chloé team found the inspiration for their wildly popular Susanna boots.

The models in this show were goddesses (Yasmeen Ghauri and Christy Turlington were my faves), and I think they still represent beauty to me even today.  I adored the smoky eyes with huge lashes, nude lips and lots of pink blush.


Versace Pacific Place


Versace in the Pacific Place mall in Admiralty, Hong Kong


An old ad with model Shalom Harlow from a mid-nineties scrap book I still have.


Just as I was thinking about this, I noticed an article about makeup in the Washington Post this morning (HERE).  Full on glam makeup is taking youtube by storm.  My daughter says where have you been, mum when I ask her about it.

If only Kevyn Aucoin was still alive today.  He probably would have loved all these creative young kids using the style of makeup he pioneered.  I still love his books and his way of shaping faces.  Kevyn Aucoin taught my generation all the tricks to bring out the very best in your face while at the same time loving all kinds of beauty without judgement.


A Dutch nineties icon: Karen Mulder on the cover of TopModel magazine in 1996. 


Claudia Schiffer also in TopModel mag (I have a few issues left from those days) in full on glam eyes, lips, and hair. Why just focus on one.




Hope you are all having fabulous Tuesdays!

xxxxx Dianne






No comments:

Post a Comment