Thursday, February 22, 2018

Capture Your (Own) Style with Aimee Song




Capture Your Style is a book about Instagram and how to take great photos.  It's fun and if you are interested in becoming an Instagram star or are using it for a business purpose, it's a great resource.  Aimee advises writing a mission statement before you start which is a great idea to maintain focus. 

I bought the book because Aimee Song has amazing style - in fact, she has captured her style to perfection.  No matter what clothes she wears, Aimee always looks like herself.  It reminds me that individual style is not about wearing the same type of jacket or trousers all the time but by injecting the outfits with some of your personality.

I always wish I could verbalize how to do that.  But I couldn't do it any better than Amanda Brooks, whose book I LOVE YOUR STYLE is still the very best personal style book ever written.

There are two things, however, I know for sure about finding your own style.  First: if there is a person whose style you adore, you should always ask yourself before you buy anything whether your personal fashion icon would wear it.

And second, if you come across an outfit in a magazine or on a website that makes you gasp or start googling, then this too could very well be your style.  What you really love will have instinctive appeal - and you should not spend your money without it.

I experienced shortness of breath when I came across this picture earlier today.  Slim trousers, a stripy tie dye T-shirt, a modern slingback, and a top handle dove grey bag.. this outfit couldn't possibly be more perfect for me.  

Needless to say, orders have been placed :)




If you still read magazines, start ripping out all the pages that make you feel this way.  I actually haven't read many lately.. and have not bought American Vogue in forever.

If you find an image online that makes your heart skip a beat, take a screen shot and put it in a folder somewhere.  Look at these resources every Sunday night over a cup of tea.  I have found after my no-shopping challenge in January that it is very satisfying to spend time planning and tweaking your wardrobe - and it saves money too.

What frustrates me about Instagram stars like beautiful Aimee, is that they hardly ever wear the same thing twice and it creates this constant desire among the audience to have newer fresher things, which is simply not realistic for most people on a normal budget.

This has inspired me to follow a new mission for this blog:  to show you style from the point of view of a person who has to wear their clothes on repeat like everyone else.

If you like this idea, you may like blogger Emma Hill's fashion feed HERE.

xxxxxx Dianne





No comments:

Post a Comment