Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Sans Pedi

My pedi-less feet right next to the Dolce and Gabbana display...

When I was growing up in Holland, NO ONE ever had a pedicure. NO ONE. If people wore sandals, they'd show their god given toes. My mom still does all the time, and trust me, she is no slob. But in the US, where I moved in 1988 every one had pedis all the time, so that became my routine too. In the last few months I have noticed my nails get bright white spots on them when the polish is removed so I thought I should give the pedis a rest for a while.

After a spell of wearing ballerina flats I tried sandals today -  Céline would be cool and tough enough to handle a bare foot I thought...  OMG - I haven't felt so bare in a long time. Here on the hallowed grounds of Lane Crawford it felt very wrong. My anxiety made worse by the sales person immediately ran up to me (black shoes on the right) - but that was just to warn me no pictures were allowed.

This is a fashion blog so I will keep the feminist rants brief, but how wrong is it that we as women feel out of place without a whole lot of artifice - hair removal, nails, fake lashes, botox - when men's only concern with such matters occurs when they judge our looks. Just saying....

Bare feet in my Céline sandals...

No comments:

Post a Comment