Friday, July 12, 2013

About yellow shoes and impulse control (or lack of it)

I should just call this blog I LOVE SHOES

Tis the season for the fair...

I have often said my favorite blog is www.keepitchic.com. It's very well edited, it's consistent, and if you were to live by its style suggestions, undoubtedly you'd be classic injected with just enough in-the-know to look really cool in a Lou Doillon-if-she-were-american sort of way. Although I am fairly accomplished when it comes to fashion - I am an FIT trained designer - nothing I ever wear comes together with any sort of plan or strategy. I often wonder whether anyone else is as haphazard as I am. Just last week I unpacked my suitcase here in Holland and I looked at my selection of shoes with the smug self-satisfaction of a wannabe wardrobe planner - black Dicker boots, beige snakeskin Lanvin sandals, and black Chloe flats. I was quite proud of myself not going to the Lane Crawford sales, and sticking to only classic colors and styles. And then the circus came to town.

Well, not really the circus, but it works better as an expression. My mum, sister-in-law and I decided to go the the beautiful town of Oisterwijk, to have a look around the shops. And it so happened the fair had arrived in town. So we decided to stay for lunch, and of course we had wine. And then we went to Mayke, one of Holland's nicer shoe shops. And now I have yellow sandals. They were on sale all the way down to 143 Euros (about 1430 HKD I think). They have gold studs. I mean seriously, who still wears studs? (I of course do). They have got to go one of these days right? How come are they still so popular in Oisterwijk, Holland? And have you ever seen anyone in-the-know wear studs recently? Or yellow? No way, Lou Doillon-if-she-were-american would not be caught dead in yellow or probably Prada for that matter. But I can't resist shoes, especially colorful shoes. And as much as I admire the stylish editors out there, I will always end up with a wardrobe full of impulses. I love a pissed shop and today was of course a pissed shop. It's a requirement for any successful holiday after all. But I still wonder if there is anyone out there as haphazard in their choices as I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment