Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Hong Kong Street Style



A while ago I was thinking I should start taking some street style pictures around Hong Kong. I figured I had to be professional about it so I had cards printed with my blog title on it. I was super excited when they were done and went straight to the HSBC building, where I perched myself on one of the lion statues and waited for a willing victim. 

It turned into one of those embarrassing episodes I will not easily forget. The first woman I approached had a beautiful Birkin with colorful silk scarves tied around the handles. She was with a friend and they seemed smily and friendly enough. I asked her if I could take a picture of her bag for my fashion blog. Her answer to that question was: "It's real". 

I said "yes it is lovely, and I would love to show a picture of it on my fashion blog", fumbling to get my cards out. She looked at the card and said "It's no fake bag".  By now I should have run for the hills, or rather The Peak, but I stupidly continued on. "Maybe I could take a picture of your bag and your hand with your pretty bracelet, don't worry I won't show your face". 

Yikes I really should not have said that. The woman with the Birkin had whipped out a gold sparkly hairbrush and was brushing her hair. Her friend, who had a better grasp of English now started yelling at her: "No! No! No your face, she no want your face!" The Cantonese are nothing if not direct, and a heated argument broke out between the women. This is when I slinked off, mumbling to be excused and ran into the Princes Building where I went straight up to Sift bakery (HERE) and ate 2 Banana Foster cupcakes. My street style career was officially over.

So nowadays when I do see someone whose outfit I would like to show, I take their picture secretly, and of course, don't show their faces....

Classic fresh summer colors and a canvas Birkin to die for, in the Landmark Mandarin taxi line in Central Hong Kong

No comments:

Post a Comment