Monday, June 3, 2013

Five Looks

My black Chanel bag has been in its box ready to take to Chanel to get refurbished. Mine was my mum's, originally bought for her in 1994 by my dad at the Rue Cambon store in Paris, but now quite faded - the black lambskin is slowly turning to chocolate brown. But something's been holding me back. When I walk around town and see the very many girls with the exact same bag, brand new, flashy and shiny, I doubt whether I want mine to be as brightly shiny and new.

I think my all time favorite thing to look at on the web is US Vogue's Five Days, Five Looks, One Girl segment. If you have never seen it, find it HERE.  Other websites with similar information (and peeks into peoples closets) leave me wanting for more, but this one explains every last detail the girls are wearing, where they bought it and why. The girls featured all work at Vogue, but surprisingly their looks are not simply about the newest and latest - I love how most of them mix lots old and sentimental favorites with the new and trendy. 

Anyway, long story short, when I opened the feature this morning I suddenly had full clarity about my Chanel bag. The girl featured, Phoebe de Croisset, carries a blue grey lambskin Chanel bag which has obviously faded, and it is gorgeous. It helps that faded grey is still grey, but the overall effect is that Phoebe looks confident and isn't the least bit worried that her bag is obviously a few years old.

photo from www.vogue.com

That is a rarity in Hong Kong where everything needs to be brand spanking new all the time. You hope you can stay yourself when you become immersed in new fashion cultures, but along the years things do rub off, and my slightly conventional nature has had me inching a bit towards tai tai style. Well that's going to stop with my Chanel!!! I am taking it out today. In all its chocolate brown glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment