Thursday, November 20, 2014

The Woman I Wanted To Be - Diane von Furstenberg

My DVF dress in gorgeous morning sun light - of course one busy print is never enough for me, so I have added a print bag and shoes as well.

The other day after I finished my swim at the Hong Kong Cricket Club I saw my beautiful friend Sally from afar in a grey and white DVF dress. I made a mental note to go into DVF as I hadn't been there in a while. When I got home half an hour later there was a birthday card in the mail, from DVF, with a little discount card as a present. Even later that day my daughter excitedly announced that the reality show, House of DVF, was now available on itunes. Funny how some days you keep getting the same message over and over again - I figured I should take it as a sign, a sign that I should buy a dress!

I have watched a few episodes of House of DVF - unfortunately it doesn't show as much of the inner workings of the company as I was hoping for but Diane herself is fabulous in it, always offering wonderful wisdoms to everyone around her. Yesterday I used my little gift card and bought a very pretty dress. I picked up a signed copy of her autobiography as well and have not been able to put it down - it is absolutely riveting.

There is an infectious optimism in Diane's attitude to life which is totally reflected in her clothes. Among the annoyingly self-conscious fashion people I have worked with in the past DVF was never considered the coolest brand, because being cool is about pretending to be jaded and sullen and always showing a hint of disdain your face. You simply can't do all those things in a DVF dress. DVF dresses make you smile, they make you say hello to strangers, and they make you feel unapologetically happy to be a woman.

Diane has lived an exciting life for sure, and it's super fun to read about all the people she's met and the places she has visited - but it's the life lessons that make this book so intriguing. It is honestly such a good read - I so very highly recommend you get this book - and why not buy a dress while you're at it?

No comments:

Post a Comment