Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Would you buy a plaid wool shirt for US $ 1,740?

If your answer was yes, I am sorry to say they are sold out

Oh but it's your lucky day if you wear a French size 40 - and look, Net-a-Porter sells them for only US $1,071.

I don't even know where to begin... First of all, do your research from now on. A single shirt is US$700 more expensive on MyTheresa than on Net-a-Porter, so check your prices. But still, at $1,071 I think it would have to be the finest cashmere found on earth for me to even consider it. For f's sake, it is a plaid shirt. Is this some kind of luxury grunge experiment? The last laugh goes to MyTheresa, who seem to have picked a random number out of a hat, and closed the deal. The second-to-last laugh goes to Hedi Slimane, who seems to achieve margins other designers could only dream of.

Btw have you ever watched Bill Cunningham's On the Street videos for The New York Times? They are fabulous, and I always have a chuckle when Bill pronounces Hedi Slimane's French name as Hedi Slymane. He makes it sound like slimy. Sometimes I wonder whether he does it on purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment