Monday, March 4, 2013

You can take Maison Scotch out of Holland, but you can't take the Holland out of Maison Scotch

Find Maison Scotch HERE online or in-store at Lane Crawford in IFC, Canton Road, and at Seasons Place in Beijing

On a very brief breeze through Lane Crawford in IFC I picked up a khaki sleeveless vest from Maison Scotch. I think the khaki was appealing cos a very stylish friend has been wearing her khaki blazer a bit lately, and when something looks really good, you get it on the brain. I suspect this is how good looking people in the streets set trends in motion. But when I shop in stores I do have a habit of picking up the most gimmicky item in the store faster than you can say crochet shoulder detail.

Not knowing much about Maison Scotch I looked it up and there was my answer... The company is Dutch. Holland's dressing culture is very casual. Lots of logo patches on everything, lots of color, and trends are more often expressed through decorative additions rather than through a change in silhouette. When I was young, the Dutch were often described as the worst dressed Europeans. I am not sure if that is true, but surely the Belgians, French, Germans, Italians, and Spanish dress better just to name a few. Still, I love my little vest with the gimmicky shoulder detail and will be wearing it often. There's no denying the nederlander in me.

I do have to add though, the styling and merchandizing at Lane Crawford are second to none. I would have never, ever, ever bought this vest through Maison Scotch's own website which pitches the clothes at 13 year olds with greasy hair. Lane Crawford has that knack of combining trendy young items with very classic clothes and therefore making the look way more accessible. All hail to Sarah Rutson.

1 comment: