Friday, November 22, 2013

The ankle boots trials

how many ankle boots must one buy to get it right?

my most recent pair - Gianvito Rossi

I remember just 3 years ago saying to a friend, why is everyone wearing ankle boots? I thought they were so unflattering, and my eye didn't get used to them for a long time. And then I suddenly became obsessive about Isabel Marant's Dicker boots, and one pair led to two more, and then to Alexander Wangs, Louboutins, Phillip Lims etc. But I never got the perfect pair of day boots. Some were too low on the ankle (the Dickers), and therefore making me look like a garden gnome. Others were too high cutting off half of my not so tall legs. Other are too tight around the ankle which makes tucked in trousers look wrong. Some are too clunky, and some pointy toes are too long. And then my biggest dislike is toes that don't stay flat on the floor. That usually happens with higher heels, but often it's a sign of a badly made shoe last. For comparison, have a look at the highest Manolo Blahnik pump - it will always have its toes flush with the floor.

I have only just bought the army green Gianvito Rossi pair above, but I think these may be my best ones yet. The heel is a very comfortable 8 cm, the toes are perfectly flat on the floor, and they are loose around the ankles, therefore making my ankles look very slim. Now I have to start wearing them to know for sure, but I have a good feeling. Find them in army green and black HERE - the black is almost 25 % more expensive by the way...


I HATE curled up toes!!!!

Phillip Lim is trying to capture the cubano boot spirit - but the granny heel makes the whole thing disturbing. Why do I own it? Let's just say internet shopping is dangerous sometimes. And they were on sale so my judgment was clouded.

No comments:

Post a Comment