Sunday, April 1, 2018

I wonder if Emmanuelle Alt has held on to this Isabel Marant chambray shirt as long as I have?


Like I said the other day, with a move to London in the near future I have to drastically downsize my wardrobe. 

Looking at all these clothes I once thought to be timeless classics I am starting to rethink everything I have ever known for sure about fashion.

Take this Isabel Marant cargo shirt for instance.



When Emmanuelle Alt started wearing some variety of this shirt in every photo around 2012-ish I was convinced this shirt would make my life perfect forever.  I would never need to shop for a chambray shirt again, because if only I'd own this one, I would already have the most perfect version ever designed.

Hhhmmmmmmm.

I wonder if Emmanuelle Alt still has her many Isabel Marant cargo shirts.  Today, in April 2018, they don't really feel like timeless classics at all.  They just feel like a moment in fashion that's moved on.

Having done some closet clear-out for a few weeks now, this shirt has been sitting in a bin bag for a while, ready to go to the church charity shop.  When I found it in my wardrobe my first reaction was throw.  Then yesterday I passed a Calvin Klein store where denim shirts with huge pockets are the latest newest, so I took it out of the bin bag again.

While in the past I imagined I was building an everlasting classic wardrobe with every new purchase
I now think all that planning was entirely in vain.  Even classics get tweaked and change subtly all the time, until suddenly your fitted white shirt looks anything but classic and you start craving an oversized version with enough fabric to tuck it into your jeans.

My cargo shirt is made of soft and washed chambray very different from the pared down and stiff Calvin Klein version (HERE). It's a shirt with big pockets, but the effect is fiercely different.

I now always ask myself while shopping if this is a buy-now-wear-now piece or if it would likely be stored in the closet for some day in the future.  Anything I can't wear right now stays in the shop.

I wore this Isabel Marant cargo shirt probably about twenty times.  Not nearly enough to justify the price.  It's out of the bin bag and I am wearing it today in line with my other new fashion rule: you bought it now you better wear it.  Even if it looks so 2012.



Vintage Chanel bag (similar HERE)
Isabel Marant Étoile shirt (similar HERE)
Goldsign skirt (HERE)
Malone Souliers shoes (HERE)


Hope you are enjoying your Easter holidays!  
Our pool has just opened today, and I am about to take a dip.

xx Dianne





No comments:

Post a Comment