Monday, July 7, 2014

What to do when you accidentally buy a prom dress


Accidentally is not the most accurate word I guess. I walked into Lane Crawford's J.Crew boutique, saw this cream skirt in a combination of cotton eyelet and layers of cream gazar and voile, and held my breath while searching for my size. It fit and although the proportion was a bit off with the sneakers I was wearing, I ignored all the warning signs and threw down my Cathay Pacific Amex. 


It's pretty, right? The purse was an earlier inexpensive purchase also from J.Crew. I have used it and love it lots.


The shoes are by Jason Wu and I think I will get lots of mileage out of these. The necklace is by Duchessa Jewels (www.duchessajewels.com).


The skirt, however, is a problem. The cut of the eyelet fabric is slightly akin to a straight pencil skirt (at least it is on my thighs), and because the ruffly bit is quite stiff, it is too reminiscent of junior prom for my liking. I have tried to take out some of the girly by pairing it with a black Isabel Marant cotton voile shirt, but am not sure I am getting it right. Any ideas?? PS I have already tried it with heels and it looks horrendous.

No comments:

Post a Comment