Sunday, October 15, 2017

Franca: Chaos and Creation




As recently as May 2016 there was a law in Holland which forbids insulting a friendly (i.e. ally) head of state.  Turkish leader (and well known creep) Recep Tayyip Erdogan got insulted by a German comedian and promptly lodged a complaint with the German government.

In the photo above people with gold balloons proudly exercise their right to insult the president on Fifth Avenue in New York.  But by posting this photo, am I breaking the law in Europe?  Just to make it clear, I very much agree with the balloons.

In the documentary Franca: Chaos and Creation, Franca Sozzani's son paints a portrait of his mother, the Editor-in-Chief of Vogue Italia.  For me the most interesting aspect of her story is how she managed to create such outrageous, often politically motivated content at such a conventional publishing company.  If you are looking for feminism and girl power in fashion, Franca Sozzani was the real thing.

If she had been able to continue her work (Franca died in December 2016) she would have no doubt participated in the current political debate - I imagine the issue title to be something like this:

L'imperatore il presidente è nudo 
the emperor the president has no clothes

I went through my magazines to see if I had any of Franca's issues left, and unfortunately I could only find the June 2011 magazine, Belle Vere, which was featured in the documentary and celebrated curvy (i.e. normal) women.





You can watch Franca: Chaos and Creation on Netflix.




No comments:

Post a Comment