Thursday, September 7, 2017

Inspiration Is Better Than Sex

In my previous post I admitted to feeling uneasy and embarrassed about adding photos of myself to posts. So it's a fair question to ask why I do it sometimes (and a bit more often recently).

The simple answer is: I attract a lot more readers when I show who I am.

Although this blog is purely for my own entertainment (there is nothing I like doing more), I do need readers to make it worthwhile. It's such a thrill when I get an email from someone who's been inspired by a post.

I studied fashion design and I worked as a handbag designer but ultimately I think I am better at styling clothes than designing them. The other day a friend told me she bought the Zara dress I showed on the blog (HERE) and that made me totally happy - I was on a high all day.

The embarrassment about selfies comes from the fact that I am not exactly a model. I am a regular mum with a lazy eye, mismatched eyebrows, a crooked smile and muffin top problem. Despite that I think being visible on the blog makes the posts more interesting and more personal.

I have never been able to make a definite tribe choice, instead hoping to combine the life of a New Yorker reading political news junkie with the somewhat shallower life of a fashion loving Hong Kong expat.

It's not my fellow fashion bloggers who will judge my selfies, but my fellow political junkies or my clever friends from uni probably think I am an absolute loon for having a fashion blog. But (I think) I have decided to man up and do what I love.

Whenever I wonder about the purpose of my blog I think of inspiration. How often do you feel inspired? Inspired to read a book, to redecorate your house, to go back to school, to move to another country or to contribute to charity? It may not be every day, but when inspiration strikes it's a rush of positivity, an avalanche of purpose.

Let's face it: feeling inspired is better than sex.

But don't quite stop having sex yet. As the  F A S H I O N E X P A T  I hope to provide a bit of minor inspiration every week. Probably not the life changing kind but maybe I will remind you of an old blouse in your wardrobe that will make you feel beautiful when you wear it again. Or maybe I'll inspire you to buy a pretty dress and ask an old friend for lunch.

In the meantime I will continue posting pictures and writing self deprecating anecdotes while at the same time creating a visual record of my life in Hong Kong.

I am so very grateful that you are reading. Thank you, beautiful girls.

xx Dianne


I found a bit of personal inspiration at Isabel Marant this morning. Both the main line and Étoile are beautiful this season. This is the store on On Lan Street in Central.


I have put these on hold and figured I should be sensible and think about them. Five minutes after I got home I was done thinking.



No comments:

Post a Comment