Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Back in Hong Kong after a whirlwind trip to London, pondering the validity of my opinions on ugly shoes




I am back in Hong Kong after 26 hours in a plane and 52 hours in London.

It was entirely worth it though cos I met up with my son, who is at boarding school in England. We did very little other than eat and watch tv, but that was fine by me. It's amazing what boarding school has done to my little chap. He's almost a man now, with perfect British manners, and the confidence to speak up in any company yet full of modesty and awareness of the inexperience of his age.

Despite my lioness' pride, it never feels entirely normal to drop him off at school again and fly halfway around the world back to my own home.

But this time I am lucky, I am seeing my boy again next week. So after having emptied my suitcase of sweatpants, jeans and T-shirts yesterday, I am now packing again for nine days of activities in London that involve pretty shoes.

I bought the loveliest kitten heels the other day at a Gianvito Rossi new season event.




I love the shape of the vamp which gives a nod to the fall shoe trend (like HERE and HERE) without being really ugly and covering the foot in unnecessary leather. Even though I consider myself a pretty competent fashion blogger with a good understanding of proportions and a decent sense of style, I have to admit I hate funny heels or clumpy shoe shapes. I am properly old fashioned when it comes to shoes - I like mine to flatter rather than scream fashion edge. 

That reminds me of (former?) US Vogue food writer Jeffrey Steingarten who realised that in order to be a proper food critic he would have to learn to eat all foods, including the Korean pickled cabbage dish he despised, kimchi (read more HERE). If he is still a writer for Anna's Vogue I have missed it altogether among the constant articles about lesser tennis players who have no business being in the magazine. Oops did I just invite the wrath of Anna again? No, that would mean she would be reading  f a s h i o n e x p a t.  And let's face it, I'd forgive her all her editing sins in a nano second if that were the case.



No comments:

Post a Comment