Monday, December 3, 2012

Tweed jacket all finished

hundreds of colorful womenswear fabrics to choose from at Soong

I can't for the life of me take a picture of myself. How do all those other bloggers do it so successfully?  Anyway, I am wearing my tweed jacket, newly finished. On the right an example of a bouclĂ© wool Chanel-style jacket, with a hand crocheted edge.

Jack doing some final checks on my gorgeous jacket - see the enormous quantity of men's fabrics behind him. My tweed was a menswear fabric.

When I said the other day I was having a tweed jacket made, several of my friends said they have never had anything like that done. Even though they have lived in Hong Kong for ages. I guess it can be intimidating to walk into a tailor you don't know, especially when you don't know exactly what you are looking for. I had a rough idea and brought a Tory Burch jacket to copy generally, but to make a better version. The Tory jacket cost me about $500 US, and this one was a smidge more price wise , but a million times better fit wise. I had three fittings and Jack and his head tailor listened very carefully to what I wanted. My biggest concern was that the shoulders should be as narrow as possible without being too tight to raise your arms or drive a car for instance. Other than that I knew I wanted three patch pockets without flaps, and for the rest, we used the Tory jacket as a rough guide. The result is light as air, with a silk lining rather than retail favorites polyester and acetate. I adore it and it feels totally mine. Jack isn't paying me for this post, but I thought he was great, and sharing is caring! Let me know in the comments if you have any questions and I will gladly help out.

Soong Salon de Mode
2/F, Suite A, Hanchung Mansion
8-10 Hankow Road
Kowloon, Hong Kong
Telephone: 27231400

No comments:

Post a Comment