Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Coats, Scarves, and Boots

Quiet and sunshine in London's Mayfair


 Fashion, who has time for it?

Even if you had the physical time, for me it's the headspace that's been missing.

The pandemic and the US election have occupied every last cubic millimeter of awareness available in my skull.

I constantly feel overwhelmed or scared.

But yet it's worth thinking about clothes a little bit during all this misery.  On Sunday, a mild 17 degree afternoon, we paid a visit to the Victoria and Albert Museum and I wore a Uniqlo dress (HERE), a navy leather jacket and trainers.  I felt one hundred times better than I have been, or than I feel now sitting here (in old "dog walking" jeans ((I have no dog!!)) and a dodgy jumper).

There is a magic to dressing nicely - a magic that may very well be as beneficial as a hit of vitamin C.  I may have said this before but I will say it again, New York stylist Allison Bornstein is really onto something when she says Fashion is Wellness.

Fashion is Wellness!  And even if one has no time for it, one should make the time right now.

In a way the pandemic and our imminent London lockdown are making dressing easier.  As shops and restaurants will be closing again on Thursday, we now just have to worry about the outer layers really, so for this post let's focus on coats, scarves, and boots.

I saw a beautiful woman last week in Hyde park wearing black leggings and black Nike trainers, yet her ankle length coat was full-on rich camel Max Mara deliciousness.  She had tied a silk scarf at the back of her neck with a triangle of silk in the front.



Gloves by Agnelle, HERE
Totême scarf, HERE
Max Mara coat, HERE
Chanel sunglasses, HERE

So fabulous, it made me wonder why for me it's always all or nothing when I get dressed.  Why not put a gorgeous coat over casual leggings?  There's not really much sense in wearing clothes underneath that you would take off again the moment you got home.  

Here's another option, try some of the great brogues that are out in shops.



Ganni scarf, HERE
Chloe shoes, HERE
Totême coat, HERE
Chloe necklace, HERE
Celine sunglasses, HERE


Or here some boots, as the title of this post promised.  These are by Ann Demeulemeester, the best stomping boot designer ever.  I love plaid on plaid, or here in England check on check.  There's never enough checks in an outfit if you ask me.



Ray-Ban sunglasses, HERE
Ann Demeulemeester boots, HERE
Dior scarf, HERE
Zara coat, HERE


All of these outfits could have leggings and grey sweatshirts underneath. Why not. I used to be vehemently against leggings masquerading as clothes, but after 2020 I wonder about all the subliminal and deliberate rules we follow without realising it or questioning why.

Go outside. Wear your leggings!  Add a big coat and enjoy pandemic fashion as much as possible.  And use your best Sunday clothes a well!  Don't worry you are not going to wear them out - frankly when has anyone in the modern age worn anything out?  Just use everything you have - it will bring you wellness, I promise.  I hope you and your families are all keeping well and healthy.

Much of love from London,
Dianne xx



No comments:

Post a Comment