Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Vieux Rose

Wendy from wendyslookbook.com

Bordeaux, blues, and as the French say so beautifully, vieux rose, or old pink


color wheel

MFG's dressing room

I took a look at www.wendyslookbook.com this morning, and came across the picture above with the lovely color combo of soft pink, dark red, and vivid cobalt blue. I love those colors together and I also love how the shade of pink is quite subdued while the dark red and blue are quite intense. It's made me think of color theory and why some colors work together and some don't (read more about color theory HERE).

I often wonder when you see really well dressed women, whether it is an innate ability or a lucky reach into the wardrobe. I think that dressing well consistently actually needs a bit of planning.  Here's where having a color wheel hanging in one of your wardrobe doors can be really useful. You probably have some lovely potential combinations in that wardrobe, but without prompting, you may always put your reds with a navy blue, rather than a blue green or a mustard yellow for instance. It's also nice to combine only different shades of one color in an outfit, like charcoal grey cashmere, heather grey cotton jersey and light grey satin. There are many color wheels on Google Images for you to print out.

The other thing that's vital is to make sure you can see everything you have. I love glass doors on wardrobes as in the picture of Melbourne Fashion Girl's glam dressing room. She has a mix of accessories and books in this section but it would also make a great space for t-shirts and jumpers sorted by color. By the way, I am not following any of this advice myself. My wardrobe is an incredible mess, I can't see anything because my doors are closed, and although I have lots of colorful clothes, I can't actually find them. Don't be like me is all I can say.

No comments:

Post a Comment