Friday, May 17, 2013

She's all hat and no horse






I just learned about this expression for the first time, of all places on a Shakespeare reference website, where I was researching clothing references in Macbeth (see it HERE).  It means the person in question attempts with his or her appearance to come across as something different than she actually is, for example more accomplished or successful. I love a good metaphor - we Dutch have gazillions of them, one for every occasion.

There is a scene in the 1990 movie Pretty Woman when Julia Roberts in a particularly ladylike dress at a polo match finds out that Richard Gere has told people there that she is actually a prostitute. 









"Why did you make me get all dressed up? If you were going to tell everyone that I'm a hooker, why didn't you just let me wear my own clothes? I mean, in my own clothes, when someone like that guy Stuckey comes up to me, I can handle it! I'm prepared"













It's something to think about when you get dressed. I was researching "clothes as armor" because I am really interested in how clothes help you say something about yourself without speaking. For example, can someone who is very chic also be friendly? Royal couturier Hardy Amies did not think so. Vanity Fair reports him as saying that the queen must not dress chic, because there is something unkind about chic.

I am still collecting my thoughts and hope I can come up with a good post about all of this one day. For now I will close with a very modern bit a language: here's a shout out to the author of the "Yippee! you are back in business!" email. That made me smile all day. Thanks for the encouraging messages - love to know you are reading - and liking - and taking the time to say so.

No comments:

Post a Comment