Sunday, April 14, 2013

Mary Quant and Daisy

Mary Quant and Vidal Sassoon from www.cnn.com

Daisy's turquoise eye shadow close up - photo from www.flickr.com


Daisy outfit photos from www.jasellesdaisypassion.com

My daughter asked me "to play barbies" this morning. I said "sure, I'll be Daisy". Her face turned red, then purple, and she ran into her room looking for Daisy. Without the internet I would have simply had to face that my childhood doll Daisy has been lost, but a quick search led me to www.jasellesdaisypassion.com, a website dedicated to Mary Quant's Daisy doll and her beautiful clothes. British designer and mini skirt inventor Mary Quant created the Daisy doll in 1973 and according to Wikipedia the doll was manufactured in Hong Kong until it was discontinued in 1983. I loved my Daisy doll so much. All my early fashion designs were concocted in my mind with Daisy as my muse. One of the outfits I had for her was a hooded red satin maxi evening cape. If I was ever scared at night, I would imagine outfits to match the red cape until I fell asleep. What a lovely trip down memory lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment