Sunday, September 16, 2012

The Devil is in the Details?


I am inevitably attracted to clothes, shoes, and bags that have an interesting detail. And inevitably those become the hardest things to wear. I bought these trousers at Whistles when I first moved to Wimbledon in 2005. I had them shortened right away for once so they were ready to go. They also happen to be insanely flattering on the legs. Don't really know why, but I suspect it's because they are slightly fitted in the leg with a modest bell bottom starting at the knee. And yet I have never worn them. The turquoise stitching is what I loved about them most, but it's also been the thing that makes them look bad with other things I already have.
Then I bought this JCrew mint and grey jumper and at once I knew it would be perfect with the old Whistles trousers. I don't exactly know where I am going with this.... Never throw anything away??? Cos one day you may make it work for you?  Or don't be so damn anal and just wear the trousers regardless of the teensy turquoise stitches....
I must admit they were also quite tight when I bought them. On sale, and my proper size not available, you know how it goes. Never makes sense to hold on to anything because you think you may lose weight.
This reminds me of something a very wise friend said to me a while ago and it has really resonated with me. Because we live in Hong Kong and have lots of help and free time many of us new expats jump with great gusto into a life of exercise. We then spend summers back in the old country, no help, not so much free time and we have to start all over again when we get back in September. Well, my friend's very good strategy is to get into the habit of only doing the amount and type of exercise you can reasonably sustain for the rest of your life, wherever you may live.
That way you may also end up with a wardrobe full of the clothes the same size rather than extra small jeans after some additional personal training sessions, and bigger jeans during the school holidays because you can't sustain the amount of exercise consistently during the year.
Speaking of jeans, I bought some great very dark JBrands in Barneys and on the advice of Melbourne Fashion Girl some distressed Mother jeans with ankle zips. They are totally brilliant and maybe the most comfortable jeans I have ever owned.

from left to right: Mother distressed jeans, JBrand dark jeans, Current Elliot khakis with roses... uh oh what am I going to do with that rose detail???

No comments:

Post a Comment