Saturday, April 3, 2021

Finding Your Style: Is it Even Necessary?


Is this my style?

Andersson Bell jacket, HERE or HERE in a darker colour.
Uniqlo cashmere jumper, no longer in stock, but you probably have a grey jumper already.
J.Crew trousers, HERE.
Isabel Marant Bryce trainers, from last season, HERE is one left, and a blue version HERE, and a website called Fashionette that I do not know, has new versions HERE.
Ray-Ban Caravan sunglasses, HERE.



When I first watched Hedi Slimane's Fall 2020 show for Celine, I had this euphoric feeling that this is exactly who I wanted to be.  I started a cumbersome long post trying to use my own wardrobe to turn myself into a Celine amazon super model.  If you can be bothered, read what I came up with so far.


--------------------------------  DRAFT ------------------------------

For a person who has written a fashion blog for over ten years I have at times been a bit clueless about my style. Ten years in a tropical climate did not help either. Summer clothes are not inspiring to me.

Some years ago a very cool woman described my clothes as bohemian and I thought that was the strangest thing I ever heard - because the only thing I knew for sure was what I did not want to be.

I used to crave a style I thought of as Belgian-girl-from-a-good-family*. My mum and I would regularly travel from Holland to shop in Antwerp, and the well-to-do conservative Belgian girls always appealed to me.  There were a lot of slim knee length coats, inspired by English riding coats, or French redingotes, combined with white shirts, straight leg trousers, patent shoes with buckles and Chanel ballet flats.

The coats had narrow shoulders and very fitted sleeves, and would become slightly fuller from the waist to the knees. Even the Chanel sales assistants wore coats like that as their store uniform.


About two months ago I finally took the time to watch Celine's full Autumn Winter 2020-2021 show and there she was, my Belgian girl... possibly after a detour through New York and London where she picked up an edge, but yes there she was.  Vogue described the collection as seventies French bourgeois, and that matches up pretty closely with my trips to Belgium in the early eighties.

Although I feel I have never consistently stuck to a style, I do know that I've always felt most attractive wearing a blazer or coat with slim trousers over a medium block heel, and seeing this collection has inspired me to finally get my act together and keep this fashion ideal in mind when buying more clothes.

(Until I get seduced by a lavender ball skirt with green ruffles. 
But I'll cross that bridge when I inevitably find myself standing in front of it).

So this is what I have been doing next:

1) I broke down the elements of the Celine looks I liked and picked some clothes out of my wardrobe which matched these characteristics.


Blouses with frills or bows



Short jackets with neat shoulders



Straight leg trousers with the slightest flare



Long sleek skirts or culottes



Demure knee length shirt style dresses



Chanel style jackets and jackets with seventies collars



Peacoats



Tuxedo jackets



Softly pointed western boots or knee high boots



I've been working on this post for a while now, and it's taught me quite a few things about my wardrobe.  It wasn't easy to find the right pieces for copying these looks because I own too many very colourful clothes.  The other problem is the general quality of my clothes.  For most of my life I have bought designer shoes and bags, but for clothes I rely mostly on the high street or mid-range collections. 

I also have far too many clothes stuffed in my wardrobe resulting in everything being wrinkly. To pull off the chic simplicity of the Celine looks above, the clothes needs to be impeccable.  This is going to be harder than I thought.

Here are some of the things I pulled:


Not super promising so far, but in the next step I will be wearing the outfits and taking pictures.


* If you are not from continental Europe or middle aged like me, you may wonder what the hell I am talking about.  Apologies, I know this sounds so antiquated, but when I was growing up "a good family" was a class distinction, a lawyer or conservative business owner possibly, and they would probably dress in slightly boring mostly navy blue clothes. There was a style of clothes in the Dutch early eighties called "college" which was probably similar to that of the British "sloane ranger", and that was my earliest fashion love.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------


If you read that you will have seen I mentioned the likelihood of being seduced by a lavender ball skirt and going off course again - well it wasn't exactly a skirt that moved me right off my Celine girl track, it was actually the style chats by fashion brand Tibi's owner Amy Smilovic on Tibi's IGTV channel.

Amy does weekly chats at 2 PM New York time, and she talks about a style she has baptised Creative Pragmatist.

If you have time, do have a look HERE.

I wanted to be that Celine girl, but I'm not a metre eighty, I'm not young, and I am not thin. I also don't have the life for those clothes, nor the discipline needed to wear them - as the pandemic has pointed out to me in a rather harsh way.

The temporary rush of excitement over those glam clothes was useful in the sense that I took a really long hard look at every piece of clothing I owned.  The conclusion that I have way too many printed colourful clothes was long overdue.  I still love many of those things, but without some plainer pieces to balance the whole, it was never easy to get dressed in the morning.

Amy's chats focus not on individual pieces, but on how your clothes should work for you.  Even if you don't adhere to the Creative Pragmatist style she advocates, her advice on proportions, colour combinations, and fabrics is beyond helpful.  I love that she constantly tells the viewer to wear the hell out of your clothes.  I don't know why I had never thought of this but she advises to buy mostly clothes in year-round fabrics like virgin wool mixes.  I had so many winter trousers and blazers in super heavy tweeds, and just as many summer dresses in lightweight linens and voiles.  They were all just hanging there staring at me, too extreme for nine months of the British year.



Wearing the hell out of my clothes after listening to Amy Smilovic's advice.
(Tibi summer blazer in a viscose mix, winterised with a giant scarf)

Tibi blazer, from last summer, similar HERE.
Mango scarf, from last season, similar colour but not that similar HERE.
(I was going for a cool pink and warmer salmon pink mix).
H&M imitation leather skirt, similar HERE, and same style but in black HERE.
Zara ballet flats, HERE.


I shouldn't have focused on a particular style to fix my wardrobe, I should have focused on my personal life needs.  All I have done for the past year is go on long walks, shop for groceries and have outdoors drinks on my roof or the local neighbourhood square with friends (when allowed).

All those things require flat comfortable shoes, yet I was dreaming of high heeled boots and buying Miu Miu crystal embellished heels. 

The Celine dream hit me so hard over my feeble head because I miss my very exciting social life in Hong Kong.  A life full of lunches in glam places, air conditioned malls with easily walkable marble floors. 

Back with both my vaccinated feet firmly on the streets of London, I'm thinking who cares about finding one's style.  I need to find what works for my life.  And if I can combine that with some style and grace while I'm at it, well hallelujah for that.

We women are so tough on ourselves all the time.  It's exhausting!



Embracing life in leggings just because I can.

Zadig & Voltaire coat from last season, one small size left HERE.
J.Crew old cashmere jumper, similar HERE.
Gap leggings, but I am sure you have some black leggings.
Stella McCartney old bag, similar HERE.
Bass loafers, HERE.
Ray-Ban Caravan sunglasses, HERE.



Chelsea Bridge on a sunny evening's walk.



Lots of love from London, 
xxx Dianne



No comments:

Post a Comment