Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Journalism versus Blogging

W Magazine has a very interesting article about the current state of newspaper fashion journalism and the influence of blogging on their field.
Suzy Menkes (International Herald Tribune), Hilary Alexander (just retired from the Daily Telegraph), and Guy Trebay (New York Times), among others, give their opinions on the blogging scene, and of course they are not always positive. I totally get that - these people have been doing their thing for a very long time, and have earned their reputations. I think the article leans to the conclusion that journalists are qualified to be writing about fashion, whereas many housewife bloggers are not. Interestingly, W reveals that Hilary Alexander never went to college and that Guy Trebay dropped out of high school, but managed to fall in with Andy Warhol, and let's face it, in New York that buys you credibility for the rest of your life, even if all you ever did was wipe Andy's butt.
There is no doubt in my housewife mind that Hilary and Guy are excellent writers and entirely qualified to be fashion journalists for reputable newspapers, and thankfully, someone a long time ago decided to take a leap of faith and give these very talented people a job.
I think I will do the same for the fashion bloggers, give them a chance and see how they develop.
And as for me, I went to university, did well, graduated, and then went on to FIT, did well, and once again graduated. Aside from that I have been obsessively reading about fashion since I was about 9 years old. I know my bias cuts from my straight grains and my satins from my plain weaves. Rest assured, dear readers, you are safe with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment