Monday, August 27, 2018

Postcard From Skirrid Fawr



I was worried that I would miss Hong Kong's sweeping views after moving to London, and indeed I already do.  But a bank holiday break in Wales is recharging my starved eyes.  Climbing Skirrid Fawr yesterday, the views were spectacular.


My husband (in back) forgot to bring comfortable walking trousers but it so happens there is a mountain gear shop in the town of Abergavenny.  I only just managed to prevent him from buying the kind of pants that turn into shorts at a mere pull of its horizontal zips.

I described his previous pair of mountain trousers HERE in 2012, in one of my personal favorite posts on this blog, written during a short break in New York state.


We arrived at our cottage on the castle grounds during a full moon.  For city types like us the darkness and silence are unnerving, but the cottage inside is as quaint and peaceful as the first ten minutes of a Miss Marple mystery.  You know, just before the mayhem ensues.




Wales is perfect for a weekend break; we even encountered a band of wild ponies on our first hike.  It's currently foggy and raining but the Angel Hotel bar has a large selection of champagnes and Fulham has just beaten Burnley.  I feel a celebration coming on.


After a day of torrential rain we move north of Abergavenny towards the tiny town of Garth where we pick up our son who is visiting the Wilson family, proprietors of the beautiful Garth House in mid Wales.


The sun is fighting to break through the clouds above the stunning Grade II Listed Garth House
(find it HERE).
After a lovely visit with the family and their dogs, it's time to go home to London.


Thank you for reading!

Lots of love,

xxx Dianne




No comments:

Post a Comment